Silver is a Partner in the Technology, Media and Telecommunications team and is an agile millennial lawyer and social entrepreneur with diverse experience in emerging technologies, media, telecommunications, venture capital and private equity. He is one of Uganda’s respected thought leaders on industry futurism, the Fourth Industrial Revolution and Africa’s digital economy strategies. For his contribution, he has featured in Forbes, CNN, New York Magazine, The East African, and Ugandan media.
He is also a co-founder of DroneNerds Africa, a Ugandan based commercial unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) start-up. He has done secondment to the World Bank’s Law, Justice and Development Forum hosted by the Legal Vice Presidency in Washington, DC
Silver has previously acted for the Crypto-Currency Dealers Association of Uganda on implications of the Ugandan Central Bank’s policy stance on Crypto regulation.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – Ugandan Christian University
- Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Law Development Centre
- Masters of Laws (with distinction) - University of Pretoria
- Advanced Certificate in Insolvency & Restructuring - South Africa Restructuring & Insolvency Practitioners Association (SARIPA).
- Strategic Issues in Leadership in Telecoms, Broadcasting & Postal Regulation- Public Utility Research Centre (PURC), University of Florida & UCC
- Advised an international digital transport services provider on the legal and regulatory framework for its Ugandan operations.
- Advised a Silicon Valley search engine operator on its legal and regulatory obligations relating to data protection, privacy and consumer protection responsibilities.
- Advised an international social media giant on legal implications of the “over-the-top” OTT/social media tax in Uganda.
- Advised an international bank on cheque truncation (digital cheques) under Ugandan financial institutions and the Electronic Transactions Act, 2011.
- Advised Raintree Farms a Ugandan Moringa agriceutical advice on its USD 1.5 million investment from a private equity fund.
- Was part of the team that advised an international paint and coatings company on its USD 17,900,000 investment in Uganda. This transaction involved tolling agreements, securitization of receivables, a brand use agreement, responding to a COMESA Competition inquiry, and defence of a Trademark suit arising from the deal.
- Advised a European telecommunications company on acquisition of its public service provider (PSP Licence) for its Uganda operations
- Advised an international fintech company on legal and regulatory aspects of business set up in Uganda and regulatory propriety of electronic money issuers (EMIs).
- Advised a leading international media house on multimedia convergence strategy for Uganda. This was a novel instruction in Uganda that entailed Internet Protocol television (IPTV) regulatory advice.
- Regularly advising a local drone company on the legal, regulatory and national security developments in the Ugandan UAV industry.
- Advised an international law firm on the competition/antitrust legal aspects in Uganda’s communications sector.
- Advised an international financial institutions on regulatory aspects of crypto banking, open banking and digital banking synchronization in Uganda.
- Advised an inward bound Mauritius Private Equity investor on an equity investment transaction into a Ugandan based Internet Services Provider (ISP).
- Advised an e-commerce company on the propriety of its operations under Uganda’s Electronic Transactions Act, 2011.
- Advised an international insurance company on Ugandan legal aspects of insurance technologies (insurtechs) and technology insurance policies.
- Advised an international social media company on the new Ugandan broadband policy and its implications on fibre optic cabling.
- Advised an international social media company on the legal propriety of Uganda’s “over the top” (OTT) tax and its implications. This was a novel matter that raised issues of net neutrality and open internet in the Ugandan law context.
- Advised a local comedian on content production and distribution agreements relating to image brands, brand endorsement, and copyright.
- Advised a local agritech firm on its platform design and legal aspects of digital branding and online marketing.
- Represented the Uganda Law Society before the ICT Parliamentary Committee on the Data Protection and Privacy Bill.
- Advised the Financial Technology Service Providers Association Limited (FITSPA) on the implications of the proposed National Payments Bill.
- Advised an international payments provider on roll out of its QR codes and IT systems compliance under the Ugandan Electronic Transactions Act, 2011.
- Appeared for a client on a watching brief in a computer fraud and hacking matter prosecuted under the Computer Misuse Act, 2011. The matter dealt with unauthorized intrusion, electronic discovery, preservation and inspection of electronic evidence.
- Advised an international e-signatures company on the legal formalities of the Ugandan Electronic Signatures Act, 2011 and enforcement of advanced e-signs under Ugandan law.
- Advised an international consulting firm on the guidelines of e-tolling of roads and infrastructure in Uganda, aspects of facial recognition technology for drivers and privacy of biometric data.
- Advised a South African firm on data trusts in Uganda and regulatory aspects of data sovereignty and data recovery procedures.
- Currently advising an early stage investor on an investment in a school management software developer for software as a service (SaaS).
- Part of the team being consulted by the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) on the proposed Security Interest in Movable Property Bill aimed at recognition, regulation and registration of movable assets as collateral.
- Part of the team consulted by the Capital Markets Authority (CMA) regarding proposed amendment of the Corporate Bond Guidelines, 2003 to provide for infrastructure bonds and municipal bonds.
- Participating in the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) stakeholder consultation on the proposed review of the Telecommunications Licensing Framework.