Emily is a Partner in our Banking & Finance team with over 24 years of experience. She is formerly a Partner at Capital Law Partners & Advocates as well as the former Head of Legal and Company Secretary for Standard Chartered Bank- Uganda.
Emily is a finance, risk and governance professional who has had wide-ranging experience in the financial services sector where she has worked in the Legal and Company Secretary, Compliance and Credit departments. She has advised on various matters from financing, conveyancing, outsourcing, corporate real estate, employment and on governance. Emily strongly believes in non-adversarial means of resolving disputes, and whilst at SCB had the least number of cases in the courts of law.
Emily has also been at the fore front of the implementation of compliance related innovation in the financial services and mobile money sector, anti-money laundering and sanctions and on pension matters as a Trustee of the in-house provident scheme at Standard Chartered Uganda. She has managed Governance and strategy matters as an advisor to the Board with perspicacity and tact. She has worked with Regulators and Parliament on issues facing the financial services industry and on her time off mentors’ adolescent girls in high school.
Emily has strong analytical and communication skills, is grounded with excellent strategic thinking capability, is adaptable, highly proficient with various computer programs and loves learning and thinking up solutions to challenges. She is currently a co – convenor of the Finance and Banking Cluster of the Uganda Law Society working to ensure that the Uganda Law Society is able to have more nuanced and strategic input and support into the Finance and Banking sector.
She is an accredited IFC/ICSA Governance trainer and carries out various trainings with the ICSA Uganda chapter, is proficient in English and quite fluent in French.
- Bachelor of Law (LLB) - University of Dar es Salaam
- Master of Business Administration (MBA) – University of Leicester
- Advocate of the High Court of Uganda, Commissioner of Oaths and Notary Public
- The Africa Financial Markets Academy (SCB in-house programme for expertise in Financial Markets)
- Advised on a EUR 23 Million subordinated and syndicated lending for a leading telecommunications company in Uganda.
- Advised on a USD 40 Million structured the syndicated facility for one of the largest sugar manufacturers in Uganda.
- Advised on a UGX 20 Billion debt recovery portfolio in the electricity sector.
- Advised on the REPO agreement between Commercial Banks and Bank of Uganda