Birungi is a Partner in the Banking and Finance practice with over 9 years specializing in banking and finance law, projects development and finance, energy and natural resources, mergers & acquisitions, real estate infrastructure and construction,
She has extensive experience in financing including acquisition, project and asset finance and has previously advised corporations, financial sponsors and financial institutions across a wide spectrum of domestic and cross border secured and unsecured lending deals covering a range of industries, including infrastructure, construction and energy. Her experience extends to advising both local and international entities on the financing of major infrastructural and developmental projects including those relating to energy, infrastructure and real estate.
And also proven experience in financial services regulation including bank regulatory, transactional, bank insolvency, compliance and supervisory matters.
She represents both strategic and financial clients in a broad range of industries, including financial services energy & natural resources, real estate infrastructure and construction.
Birungi is recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by the following reputable rating agency and its publication:
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate guide 2018, 2017 – Rising Star (Uganda)
- Legal 500 EMEA 2018
- LLB (Hons) – Makerere University
- Diploma in Legal Practice – Law Development Centre
- Transaction Counsel to the Central Bank of Uganda advising on the enactment of the regulations relating to the introduction of Islamic Banking in Uganda
- Advised a leading European development finance institution on the project financing of six mini hydro power plants of combined capacity of over 40MW worth over USD 50 million.
- Advised a consortium of UAE based Lenders on a syndicated facility of USD 80 million to a leading bank in Uganda.
- Advised a leading development financing institution in respect of a financing for the construction and development of a leading Hotel.
- Advised a leading European development financing institution in a financing for the development of a 10MW Solar Photovoltaic Power Project in Eastern Uganda.
- Advised on the PPP Guidelines for the Government of Uganda
- Advised on the development and construction of the 1445km East African Crude Oil Pipeline Project by the Government of Uganda and the Uganda National Oil Company.
- Advised a leading public education institution in Uganda on the commercial development of the largest real estate portfolio development in Kampala under a public private partnership (PPP) framework.
- Advised on an acquisition by a pan-African insurance company of a Ugandan insurance company.
- Advised a leading Financial Institution on the largest cross border Insolvency and Business Rescue in Uganda.