Bernard is a Partner in our TMT and Intellectual Property practice with a wealth of experience of over 10 years specializing on all aspects of intellectual property. His experience includes providing strategic advice on commercial and transactional intellectual property matters, including structuring and management, due diligence, investigations and advising on, and drafting, commercial and licence agreements. He also advises clients on trade mark and copyright litigation, patent perfection and on matters of infringement, passing off and anti-counterfeiting. He works with clients across a range of sectors including: media and entertainment, telecommunications, advertising and sport, fashion, cosmetics, restaurants and food stuffs and electronics.
Bernard has been involved in numerous significant reported cases in relation to trade mark, copyright and patent infringement and is regularly recommended by clients for his contentious expertise. He is the General Secretary of the Ugandan Law Society Intellectual Property Practitioners Cluster and a member of the Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB) Intellectual Property Department Users Forum. He is a registered African intellectual Property Organisation (ARIPO) Agent.
While on secondment in 2014 at Freshfields Bruckhaus Derringer LLP, a magic circle firm, at their London office under the International Lawyers for Africa (ILFA) Advanced Training Program, Bernard worked closely with teams dealing in intellectual property, mergers and acquisitions and drafting and negotiating Transitional Services Agreements (TSA’s) as well as IP and other dispute resolution.
Bernard also advises several entities on employment law and labour compliance, occupational health and safety, workman’s compensation and restructuring. He has assisted several companies in restructuring and mass lay-offs as well as labour law compliance. He represents a number of clients before the Labour Office as well as the High court Industrial Division and routinely mediates and arbitrates employment disputes.
He is also a registered Insolvency Practitioner in Uganda and has handled a high-profile Receivership, Provisional Administration and assisted in the liquidation of a leading telecom Company. He participates in our Commercial Dispute Resolution practice. (Mediation, Arbitration and Litigation).
He is a Notary Public and Commissioner for Oaths.
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – Makerere University
- Diploma in Legal Practice – Law Development Centre
- Advising on the Kingfisher Development Area and the Buhuka-Kabaale Feeder Pipeline Resettlement Action Plan by China National Offshore Oil Corporation (CNOOC) Uganda for the construction of the 47 km feeder pipeline from Kingfisher Development Area to the Refinery in Kabaale, Hoima District.
- Advised on the provisional administration and liquidation of Afrimax Uganda (trading as Vodafone Uganda), a leading telecommunications company in Uganda.
- Advised on the acquisition by a pan-African insurance company of a Ugandan insurance company.
- Advised on the receivership worth UGX 1.6B of a leading alcohol distributor in Western and Southern Uganda on behalf of a leading financial institution in Uganda
- Advised on the restructuring and laying off of over 200 employees of Lion Security Uganda Ltd (a part of the Tian Tang Group, a leading Chinese conglomerate in Uganda.
- Advised on the transfer of the IP Portfolio for a leading pharmaceutical company from Mauritius to Uganda and a leading international Hotel chain from Ireland and the United States to Uganda.
- Successfully advised the Government of Uganda in an ICC arbitration in road construction dispute for the Kampala Northern Bypass Project.
- Advised a leading development finance institution on the financing of a large scale agri-business and milk processing plant in Western Uganda.
- Transaction Counsel to the Central Bank of Uganda advising on the enactment of the regulations relating to the introduction of Islamic Banking in Uganda