Bernard is a Partner in our Banking and Finance practice and a specialist with over 18 years’ experience in banking and finance as well as insolvency and restructuring. He is a dual qualified practitioner both as a Solicitor of England and Wales and an Advocate licensed to practise in Uganda.
Bernard is recognised as a leading lawyer with a vast experience in the areas of Finance (debt and equity), general banking (operational and regulatory) and financial services. Bernard regularly advises various domestic and foreign banks and other funds in Africa, and specialises in asset, project and/or infrastructure finance.
He has been involved in reviewing the entire banking architecture in Uganda with a view of introducing Islamic Banking in the country. Bernard has previously served as director on the board of two listed companies on the Ugandan Stock Exchange.
He has consistently been recognised as a leading/recommended lawyer by the following reputable rating agency and its publication:
- Chambers and Partners Guide to the World’s Leading Lawyers 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014 – General Business Law: 2015 – “up and coming” – General Business Law (Uganda). Bernard has been described as “always amiable and able to provide comfort in pretty difficult situations”. Chambers and Partners 2019
- IFLR1000 Financial and Corporate Guide 2018, 2017, 2016 – Leading Lawyer (Uganda)
- Legal 500 EMEA 2018
- Bachelor of Laws (Hons) – Cardiff University
- Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice – Cardiff University
- Transaction Counsel to the Central Bank of Uganda advising on the enactment of the regulations relating to the introduction of Islamic Banking in Uganda
- Advised a leading European development finance institution on the project financing of six mini hydro power plants of combined capacity of over 40MW worth over USD 50 million.
- Advised a consortium of UAE based Lenders on a syndicated facility of USD 80 million to a leading bank in Uganda.